Professor Morton Deutsch died March 13, 2017, in New York City at the age of 97. Social Psychology Network is maintaining this profile for visitors who wish to learn more about Professor Deutsch's work.
Please see below for more information:
- Morton Deutsch, Expert on Conflict Resolution, Dies at 97 (New York Times)
- Morton Deutsch, Pioneer in Conflict Resolution, Cooperative Learning and Social Justice, Passes Away at 97 (Teachers College, Columbia University)
- Remembering Morton Deutsch (Morton Deutsch International Center for Cooperation and Conflict Resolution)
- Morton Deutsch: Celebrating His Theorizing and Research (Negotiation and Conflict Management Research)
- Morton Deutsch: A Pioneer in Developing Peace Psychology (Springer)
- Morton Deutsch, 97 (East Hampton Star)
- Remembering Morton Deutsch: Conflict Resolution Pioneer (1920-2017) (Negotiation Journal)
Morton Deutsch, one of the world's most respected scholars of conflict resolution, is Professor Emeritus of Psychology and Education and founder of the International Center for Cooperation and Conflict Resolution (ICCCR) at the Teachers College at Columbia University. In a research career spanning more than 50 years, he has conducted pioneering studies on cooperation and competition, intergroup relations, conflict resolution, social conformity, and the social psychology of justice.
For this work Professor Deutsch has received a number of honors and awards, including the Kurt Lewin Memorial Award, the G.W. Allport Prize, the Carl Hovland Memorial Award, the APA Distinguished Scientific Contribution Award, and the SESP Distinguished Scientist Award. Professor Deutsch has also been President of the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues, the International Society of Political Psychology, and several Divisions of the APA.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Intergroup Relations
- Interpersonal Processes
- Political Psychology
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
Research Group or Laboratory:
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Deutsch, M. (1985). Distributive justice: A social psychological perspective. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Deutsch, M. (1985). The resolution of conflict: Constructive and destructive processes. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Deutsch, M., Coleman, P. T., & Marcus, E. (Eds.). (2006). The handbook of conflict resolution: Theory and practice (2nd ed.). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Deutsch, M., & Collins, M. E. (1951). Interracial housing: A psychological evaluation of a social experiment. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
- Deutsch, M., & Hornstein, H. (Eds.). (2015). Applying social psychology: Implications for research, practice and training. New York: Psychology Press.
- Deutsch, M., & Krauss, R. M. (1965). Theories in social psychology. New York: Basic Books.
- Deutsch, M., Wright, Q., & Evan, W. M. (1962). Preventing World War III: Some proposals. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Jahoda, M., Deutsch, M., & Cook, S. W. (Eds.). (1959). Research methods in social relations (2nd ed.). New York: Dryden Press.
- Deutsch, M. (2003). Content, yes! And theory, yes! Journal of Dispute Resolution, 367-375.
- Deutsch, M. (2000). Cooperation and conflict resolution: Implications for consulting psychology. Journal of Consulting Psychology.
- Deutsch, M. (1993). Educating for a peaceful world. American Psychologist, 48, 510-517.
- Deutsch, M. (1990). Sixty years of conflict. The International Journal of Conflict Management, 1, 237-263.
- Deutsch, M. (1987). Going beyond "Beyond Deterrence." Journal of Social Issues, 43, 143-153.
- Deutsch, M. (1979). Education and distributive justice: Some reflections on grading systems. American Psychologist, 34(5), 391-401.
- Deutsch, M. (1964). Review of The handbook of small group research. [Review of the book The handbook of small group research. A. P. Hare]. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 34(3), 591-592.
- Deutsch, M. (1961). The interpretation of praise and criticism as a function of their social context. The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 62(2), 391-400.
- Deutsch, M., & Gerard, H. B. (1955). A study of normative and informational social influences upon individual judgment. The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 51(3), 629-636.
- Deutsch, M., & Steil, J. M. (1988). Awakening the sense of injustice. Social Justice Research, 2, 3-23.
- Krauss, R. M., & Deutsch, M. (1966). Communication in interpersonal bargaining. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 4(5), 572-577.
- Deutsch, M., & Kinnvall C. (2002). What is political psychology? In K. Monroe (Ed.), Political Psychology. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.